Apr 12, 2011

Raisa, Raisa, Russian Rose


Raisa, Raisa Russian rose

Has a blanket made of clothes

Too old to wear

Repurposed with care

For a traveling lady's repose

The Keeping Quilt

Raisa may be an it girl, but her family came to America from the old country with little more than the clothes on their backs. When those clothes wore out, the aunties and grandmas turned them into a quilt, passing down the stories of the family members with the fabric scraps. Raisa takes it with her on all her travels, bringing the old into the new.


Raisa's quilt is indeed made partly from old clothes, and though it is tiny, it is full of stories. I created it crazy quilt style and hand embroidered every seem. I also added a touch of feathers to her headband.

3 comments:

An Li Na said...

Wow Talitha! You did a fantastic job on the quilt. Glad I have a few days to think on what I will do with her when she arrives.

Gail V said...

Beautiful quilt, Talitha. Can you make me one? A bit larger....

Robyn Coburn Writer/Artist said...

Gail, you don't even know how gorgeous Talitha's art quilts are. I'm lucky - I've seen some of them hanging. They have amazing embroidery and all kinds of embellishments and found objects.